Passengers are are allowed one carry-on bag not to exceed 16lbs and one personal item. Carry-on items must be properly stowed in the overhead compartment or underneath the seat. Items that cannot be properly stowed must be transported in the baggage/cargo compartment.
Carry-on items may include, but are not limited to:
- Perishable items (including food and meals)
- Fragile items
- Small suitcases
- Duffel bags, backpacks, and tote bags
Personal items may include, but are not limited to:
- Laptop computers, personal cameras, small electronic devices
- Diaper bags and infant supplies
- Briefcases, small backpack, and purses
Other items allowed to be carried on-board and do not count against the carry-on baggage allowance are:
- Reading material
- Umbrella, jackets, and overcoats
- Walking sticks and canes (including flexible travel canes)
- FAA approved child safety restraint system
- Medical aid equipment, mobility aids, and assistive devices
- Passenger assist/comfort animals
Under seat dimensions:
- 10″ H x 30″ W x 14″ L
Overhead bin dimensions:
- 8.5″H x 45.5″L x 17.5″W (pull up door)
- 7″H x 37″L x 14″W (pull down door)
What are the baggage limits?
You may bring ONE carry-on bag (not to exceed 16lbs) and ONE personal item (e.g., purse, camera, jacket) on board the aircraft. Carry-on baggage must be small enough to store under the seat or in an overhead compartment.
All checked bags are limited to a maximum weight of 50 lbs./22 kg.
Checked Baggage Fees
For customers ticketed before September 1, 2011:
- The first checked bag is assessed a fee of $10 and a fee of $35 will apply for each additional checked bag.
For customers ticketed on/after September 1, 2011:
- 1st bag: $15
- 2nd bag: $30
- 3rd+ bag: $35
Liability for lost or damaged baggage is limited to $3,300 per fare-paying passenger. An initial report must be filed with Island Air, in writing, prior to leaving the premises of Island Air and in no event more than four hours after the arrival of the flight. In the event of failure to give notice, no action shall lie against Island Air. Airline ticket receipts, claim checks and damaged goods should not be discarded until the research process is completed.
Island Air assumes NO LIABILITY for:
- Items carried in the passenger cabin.
- Fragile or valuable articles such as: cameras, VCRs, computers and any other electronic equipment or components, jewelry, cash or other similar valuable items in checked baggage.
- Perishable items in checked baggage.
- Normal wear and tear to baggage which includes, but is not limited to, zippers, torn seams, scuff marks, scratches, tears, cuts, gouges, punctures, dents, etc. Baggage is designed to protect its contents.
- Damage to or loss of protruding parts, such as: wheels and feet, straps, pockets, handles, pull handles, hanger hooks, locks or other items attached to the baggage, as well as damage to oversized, overweight, overpacked and previously damaged baggage; and items of a fragile or perishable nature.
- Loss, damage(s) to or delay in delivery of any property checked by a passenger traveling on a non-revenue or reduced-rate ticket.
For your convenience, baggage can be checked in from your point of origin straight through to your final Island Air destination provided there is a baggage agreement between all carriers involved and Island Air. Please allow a minimum of 75 minutes for connections in Honolulu for inbound mainland travelers and 2 hours for inbound international travelers. Passengers departing on Island Air with a domestic connection to the U.S. mainland must have baggage checked at a State of Hawaiʻi agricultural inspection station. Agricultural inspection is available at all airports serviced by Island Air.
Hours of agricultural inspection:
- Hilo, Big Island of Hawaiʻi (ITO):
- 6:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Honolulu, Oʻahu (HNL):
- Not Available
- Hoʻolehua, Molokaʻi (MKK):
- Mon: 5:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Tue-Fri: 6:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- Sat-Sun: Closed
- Kahului, Maui (OGG):
- 5:00 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Kapalua, West Maui (JHM):
- Mon-Fri: 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Sat-Sun: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Kona, Big Island of Hawaiʻi (KOA):
- 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Lihuʻe, Kauaʻi (LIH):
- 5:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Lanaʻi (LNY):
- 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
For additional information on Hawaii’s airports, visit http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/airports/